pictures

pictures
Some Days Waiting Makes Us a Bit Crazy!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Traveling to Teddy & our first day together

I'm working a bit backwards as we are now all home together. I had good intentions to post to our blog while in China. It wasn't until just before I left that I found out the site was blocked. Then I got home and had 2 busy 3 yr. old boys and a 12 hr. time difference to adjust back to. So I'll go back and start at the beginning.

It took 3 planes and just over 24 hrs. to get to Fuzhou, China. I had never been on such a long flight and have to admit, I will be in no hurry to do it again anytime soon. I first met Teddy in a meeting room at our hotel 3 hrs. after arriving. He came in being carried by one of his 2 favorite nannies with a snack cake hanging out of his mouth. That should have been my first sign we had a big eater on our hands. :-) When they first handed him to me he was in a panic. He sobbed and tried desperately to get back to his nannies. It wasn't the reaction I had hoped for, but I could only imagine what he was feeling. They quickly had me sign a few forms and took our first picture together (not our finest, but I will still treasure it). Then our sweet guide, Penny, walked us back to our room with the hope of helping Teddy calm down. Penny went so above and beyond. She stayed with me for over an hour while I rocked Teddy, rubbed his back, gave him a bath, put his pajamas on, and ordered room service. Our boy is a fighter. He cried for more than 3 1/2 hrs., vomited twice, refused to eat & eventually fell asleep in the floor by the door totally worn out. I thank God for Penny that night. She gave me a hug when I broke down and cried. I completely understood Teddy was scared. I think the tears came mostly from exhaustion and fear myself. I never expected to be traveling to bring our boy home all by myself (I did, God watched over us, and we made it home safely). Before Penny left that night, the one thing she could understand Teddy saying over and over was "go home, go home..." He is smart and strong. I had to end up putting my suitcase in front of our door to be sure he didn't get out and make a run for it. :-) My heart ached for our sweet boy and I prayed for his comfort.
Please stay tuned for my next post. Teddy warmed up to me quickly and happier memories were soon to come.
Notice our precious son still accepted his backpack with toys, sunglasses & toy cell phone.  I look at this picture 3 weeks later, and he looks like a completely different child. Wow! What a change!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Melissa, that is just heartbreaking. I cannot imagine the immense fear that he felt. Praise God that the Lord reached through that fear and showed him the love that comes from his mommy! (And his heavenly FATHER!) Can't wait for more updates!

    ReplyDelete